Wednesday, January 19, 2011

A Balanced Life = A Balanced Meal


I’ve been asked to take my turn on the CU Louisville blog; this is new for me.  While trying to determine what to share with you, I’ve been talking with my husband, answering the phone, responding to emails, chatting with friends, texting my children, ordering textbooks online, and reconciling the office budget.  Some would call this “multi-tasking”…. I call it “colossal-tasking.”  After a few moments of this, there was clarity…. I will write about balancing (or juggling) life’s many tasks.  For those of you who have had me for class, you know that “work/life balance” is a passion of mine.  I struggle with keeping my work/life in balance, so I’m a student of that concept, just like many of you.  In reading and studying ways to help achieve this balance, I’ve discovered a few tips along the journey.  I’m looking forward to sharing some them with you as I take my turn around the blog maypole! 

Most of you know that I’m a wife, mother, grandmother, daughter, sister, friend, and CU staff/faculty member.  My days are long and very full….. just like yours!  Despite our very busy lifestyles, taking care of our families is high on our list of priorities.  One way I try to take care of my family is by making sure they have a good meal to eat at dinnertime.  Now, don’t get me wrong, we do fast food and take out when necessary.  And, sometimes, it’s just necessary!  However, it gets expensive, and it’s really not very healthy.  So, with a little pre-planning on stocking the fridge and pantry, preparing meals ahead of time is one of the ways that I attempt to find balance.  Below is a quick recipe… I can’t promise it’s an original, but I think I’ve probably tweeked it enough that I can call it my own.  I’m not an exact cook, meaning that measuring amounts is not really part of my cooking agenda, so feel free to adjust anything to your personal tastes.  You can prepare this dish, store it in the fridge for 24 hours, and heat/eat later.  Hope you enjoy it….. let me know!

Shepherd’s Pie  

2# lean ground beef
1-2 cans of condensed tomato soup
½-1 cup beef broth
1 bag frozen mixed vegetables
3-4 cups mashed potatoes (real are best, but preparing instant will do too)
½ cup shredded cheese (I use cheddar, but any will do)
Salt/pepper/herbs to taste

Brown ground beef in large skillet; drain/rinse browned meat to remove excess fat.  Return meat to the skillet.  Add soup, broth and mixed vegetables to the meat.  (Add soup/broth to make the mixture the consistency of your choice.)  Allow mixture to warm through while seasoning to taste. 

Using cooking spray, coat a large casserole or baking dish.  Pour meat mixture into dish, spread mashed potatoes evenly over meat.  Before preparing to eat, top with shredded cheese and bake at 350 degrees for 20-30 minutes, until hot all the way through.

HINT:  This dish is a meal by itself; however, I serve it with bread/butter and a side salad.

There…. One blog complete…. Task finished!

by
Kelli Gwilt
Assistant Director - CU Louisville

No comments:

Post a Comment